A SOPA style law is being proposed for Ireland, without any form of debate or discussion. It will give music and movie companies legal powers to shut down websites suspected of having copyright material on them.
This will have a chilling effect both on large international companies we want to have here in Ireland (like Twitter and Facebook) and on indigenous startups who allow for any form of content uploading or creation – stifling the chances of local startups developing the next Tumblr or Facebook or Flipboard or whatever.
Smarter people than me have written about it, so please have a look at the following posts and take action at Stop SOPA Ireland.
- TJ McIntyre’s FAQ on Ireland’s SOPA
- The Business Post’s article on it
- Michele Neylon’s rallying call
- Karl Monaghan has written about how it sucks
- Want a side of sarcastic comments with your info? Broadsheet bitches!!
They Work for You!
Thanks to James for the image.